CAMBODIA: Travel Spontaneously in Siem Riep

March 14, 2018

As I told you before on my first blog about Cambodia that one day is not enough to discover its gems (If you never happened to see my small tour blog you can read it on this site). So I was able to come up with a new trip not going to my hotel’s recommended big tour but I created my very own BIG tour. Big tour not because I went to big ruins but BIG tour because it needs to have a big patience and time before you arrive to see the ruins.

My service tuktuk arrived around 6:30am infront of my hotel. The first ruins that we are heading to is Banteay Srei. It is named after and dedicated to Shiva, the Hindu God.




This is the only temple in Angkor area that is not created by a King or a monarchy. This was the most gorgeous ruins that I saw because of its noticeable red sandstone carvings. This made the temple popular and it is also known for the beauty of its sandstone lintels and pediments.


A pediments is the triangular space about the rectangular doorway.


 
The pediments at Banteay Srei are large than its doorway.


A lintel is the horizontal beam that spans the gap between two posts. Its purpose is to support the weight of the superstructure but some lintels are just for decorations.

  

The designs were so adorable. I can't stop taking pictures in different angle. But as time goes by, many tourists are on their way so I've decided to move out and let them enjoy the view. How I wish I 
have plenty of time wandering around this beautiful place. 😭 

  

But before living the place, I had a chance to have a glimpse of the view outside. I was so stunned and can't leave my eyes close (even a blink). 



The view outside the temple is incomparable especially when you are standing before the pond full of blooming lotuses. Although it's small, it is really stunning. So perfect!

After Banteay Srei, we headed to the next ruins that is almost 30 kilometers far from Banteay. Beng Mealea is made of sandstone and the largely unrestored temple in Angkor. Trees overgrown the place and stones are lying in great heaps.




Years ago, Beng Mealea is difficult to reach, but they built a road to be more accessible for the tourists. The history of this temple is questionable and remained unknown. The age of this temple can only be determined by its architectural style.





Next temple is again, 30 kilometers far from the previous temple. Prasat Lolei is another example of a temple built using red sandstone. The temple was being reconstructed during my visit. I only stayed for a couple of minutes and headed to my next temple.



These were the only pictures I have taken during my visit at Prasat Lolei. There's no visitor at that time and monks are having their talks to their pupils or believers. 


Prasat Bakong is located in northwest of Cambodia. One of its pride is Preah Ko temple(sacred bull). Its name was derived from the 3 sandstone statues infront of and facing the trmple’s central towers. These statues represent Nandi, the white bull who serves as the mount of Shiva(Hindu God).




Preah Ko has a lot of hidden sculptures that of course I cannot read. Its carvings on the wall is as beautiful as Banteay Srei.



Another and the last temple I visited in Cambodia is the Bakong Temple. It is the first temple mountain made of sandstone. The view from afar was so majestic and looks like a stepped pyramid.



You can see a lot of lions guarding around the temple from the ground going to the top especially on the stairways. And some elephants statues as guardians at the corners of the three lower levels of the pyramid.





And there ended my trip around Angkor. If ever I had plenty of time, I wish to discover more about Angkor.  Not only its ruins but to know more about their culture and history. My time for Cambodia is not enough to be astonished by the temples and how rich their country with its ruins and gems. Anyway let me talk about some ideas on what/how to get a trip to Angkor complex.


I hired the same tuktuk from my small Angkor tour. It was kinda expensive but all worth the budget. He was so kind but speaks a little English so sometimes we cannot talk to each other nor understand him. But he was able to take me to the places I want to go so I will give him 4 stars ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ for this journey. 


  

I stayed in Siem Reap for 3 days then I moved to Phnom Penh and stayed for another 2 days. I booked my trip going to Phnom Penh 2 days before the date of departure. I used Rith Mony Bus. YES! You might heard some bad comments or reviews about the said bus company. Based on my experience it was almost same because they pick me up late on the scheduled time. They used a big tuktuk to pick up all the passengers then send you to the Rith Mony bus. We should've departed around 9am but we left Siem Reap already past 10am. Anyway, time is gold! There's a lot of bus company in Cambodia. No need to stick to one. 







You Might Also Like

0 comment

Popular Posts

Featured Post

VIETNAM: An Exceptional Trip in Hà Giang

Hà Giang is a remote province of northern Vietnam and about 7 hours drive from Hanoi. It has the most epic and beautiful untouched sce...

Facebook